1. As subject choice is a decision, which affects a learner’s entire future, the learner is thoroughly prepared for this choice during his Gr. 9 year.
The school has bought a software package to help learners with their subject choices. The “Career Manager” is a user-friendly computer program, which was written in such a way as to enable the learner to select a suitable career for future success. The program not only introduces an interest profile but it also predicts the learner’s ability to master a certain subject field. The program is linked to a database that ensures that learners are made aware of the demands of a chosen career.
In order to ensure that learners will make the right decision, this program is compulsory.
Learners register only once and can use the program repeatedly until Gr. 12.
2. Choice of subject is also vitally important as it affects tertiary education such as universities and technicons.
3. The following criteria are of importance when choosing subjects:
3.1 School record
3.5 Requirements for the subject to be studied in Gr. 12 level
3.6 Parents and learner’s choice.
4. The course for Gr. 8 and Gr. 9
– Afrikaans (TGK)
– English (LLC)
– Mathematics (MLMMS)
– Natural Sciences (NS)
– Economic Management Sciences (EMS)
– Social Sciences (HSS)
– Technology (TEC)
– Arts and Culture (A & C)
– Life Orientation (LO)
5. The subject choice for Gr. 10 – 12 is as follows:
5.1 English First Language
5.2 Afrikaans Second Language
5.3 Mathematics / Mathematical Literacy
5.4 Life Orientation (Compulsory)
5.5 Physical Science (Maths compulsory) / Life Sciences / Business Studies
5.6 Life Sciences / Business Studies / Accounting /Consumer Studies/Tourism
5.7 Tourism/Accounting / Consumer Studies / Computer Applications Technology / Economics
NB: Certain subjects have entrance requirements, which must be met. A prerequisite for Maths is 60% in MLMMS in Gr. 9. Maths is a prerequisite for Physical Science.